Historical:Chapel Coal Member
M. E. Hopkins and J. A. Simon
The Chapel (No. 8) Coal Member of the Modesto Formation (Kosanke et al., 1960, p. 38), the oldest named unit in the Missourian Series, is named for Graham Chapel, Peoria County. The name "No. 8" was first given to this coal by Lesquereux (1866, p. 213) for an exposure near Shawneetown, Gallatin County. Worthen (1870) also applied the name to this coal in outcrops near Springfield, Sangamon County.
The type section consists of exposures in a ravine northeast of Pea Ridge School, about 2 miles south of Graham Chapel (SW 3, 8N-5E) (Wanless, 1956, p. 11; 1957, p. 121, 193).
It previously was called Trivoli (No. 8) coal (Wanless, 1931a, p. 181-182, 190, 192).
It is correlated with the Ditney Coal Member of southwestern Indiana.
Extent and Thickness
The Chapel Coal is persistent throughout most of the area of the state that is underlain by the Modesto Formation.
It occurs above the widespread Trivoli Sandstone or the West Franklin Limestone.
The Chapel Coal is a thin, bright-banded coal.
KOSANKE, R. M., J. A. SIMON, H. R. WANLESS, and H. B. WILLMAN, 1960, Classification of the Pennsylvanian strata of Illinois: Illinois State Geological Survey Report of Investigations 214, 84 p.
LESQUEREUX, LEO, 1866, Report on the coal fields of Illinois: Geological Survey of Illinois, v. 1, p. 208-237.
WANLESS, H. R., 1931a, Pennsylvanian cycles in western Illinois: Illinois State Geological Survey Bulletin 60, p.
WANLESS, H. R., 1956, Classification of the Pennsylvanian rocks of Illinois as of 1956: Illinois State Geological Survey Circular 217, 14 p.
WANLESS, H. R., 1957, Geology and mineral resources of the Beardstown, Glasford, Havana, and Vermont Quadrangles: Illinois State Geological Survey Bulletin 82, 233 p.
WORTHEN, A. H., 1870, Geology and paleontology: Geological Survey of Illinois, v. 4, 508 p.
|Stratigraphic Code||Geo Unit Designation|