Charles Collinson and Elwood Atherton
The Otis Member of the Wapsipinicon Limestone (Norton, 1894, p. 22-24), which overlies the Coggan Member (or Silurian dolomite where the Coggan is absent), is named for the railway junction called Otis, east of Cedar Rapids, Linn County, Iowa.
The Otis Member is 26 feet thick where exposed in its type section in a quarry at Cleveland, Henry County (S1/2 31, 18N-2E).
The Otis Member is fine-grained to lithographic, light gray to brown limestone with a few lenses of chert. In the region where it thins out on the flanks of the Sangamon Arch, lenses of quartz sandstone as much as 5 feet thick occur at the base.
NORTON, W. H., 1894, Notes on the lower strata of the Devonian Series in eastern Iowa: Iowa Academy of Science Proceedings 1, part 4, p. 22-24.
|Stratigraphic Code||Geo Unit Designation|