Stendal Limestone Member (abandoned)
Nelson, W.J., P.H. Heckel and J.M. Obrad, 2022, Pennsylvanian Subsystem in Illinois: Illinois State Geological Survey, Bulletin (in press).
In an unpublished manuscript, Wier (1961, p. 69–70) proposed the name “Stendal Limestone Member” for limestone that overlies the black, fissile shale (Excello Shale) above the Houchin Creek Coal. The first published usage of Stendal is in Shaver et al. (1970).
Stendal is an unincorporated village in Pike County, Indiana. The name was derived from a city in Germany.
The section is “in the bottom of a small gully on the southeast edge of Stendal in the NE¼ SW¼ sec. 12, T 3 S, R 7 W” in Pike County, Indiana. The limestone is described as being 1.5 ft (45 cm) thick, with the top concealed.
Wier (1961, locality 7).
Citing Wier (1961, 1965), Shaver et al. (1970, 1986) listed, but did not describe, a reference section in the NE¼ SW¼ of sec. 12, T 3 S, R 7 W, Pike County, Indiana. Wier’s 1961 manuscript does not mention this locality, and no copy of his 1965 manuscript has been located.
At the type section and elsewhere in Indiana, the Stendal Limestone directly overlies the black Excello Shale Member above the Houchin Creek Coal. Wier (1961) and Shaver et al. (1970, 1986) acknowledged that the Stendal is “probably correlative” with the Hanover Limestone Member of Wanless (1939). With clear priority in its favor, Hanover Limestone Member is accepted and “Stendal Limestone Member” abandoned.
- Shaver, R.H., Ann M. Burger, G.R. Gates, H.H. Gray, H.C. Hutchison, S.J. Keller, J.B. Patton, C.B. Rexroad, N.M. Smith, W.J. Wayne, and C.E. Wier, 1970, Compendium of rock-unit stratigraphy in Indiana: Indiana Geological Survey, Bulletin 43, 229 p., 1 pl.
- Shaver, R.H., C. H. Ault, A.M. Burger, D.D. Carr, J.B. Droste, D.L. Eggert, H.H. Gray, D. Harper, N.R. Hasenmueller, W.A. Hasenmueller, A.S. Horowitz, H.C. Hutchison, B. Keith, S.J. Keller, J.B. Patton, C.B. Rexroad, and C.E. Wier, 1986, Compendium of Paleozoic rock-unit stratigraphy in Indiana—A revision: Indiana Geological Survey, Bulletin 59, 203 p.
- Wanless, H.R., 1939, Pennsylvanian correlations in the Eastern Interior and Appalachian coal fields: Geological Society of America, Special Paper 17, 130 p.
- Wier, C.E. 1961, Stratigraphy of the Carbondale and McLeansboro Groups in southwestern Indiana: Indiana Geological Survey, unpublished bulletin, 147 p. and unnumbered appendix, http://hdl.handle.net/2022/3612 (accessed October 5, 2020).
- Wier, C.E., 1965, Stratigraphy of the Middle and Upper Pennsylvanian rocks in southwestern Indiana: Indiana Geological Survey Memorandum Report, C-131, 194 p. [Revision of Indiana Geological Survey Memorandum Report C-30]
|Stratigraphic Code||Geo Unit Designation|
"--" is not a number.